Immigration Information and Resources

[The immigration information on this webpage has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information]

The following resources are provided to assist you with various immigration permits and visa applications you may encounter as an international student. Please review the IRCC website: COVID-19 page for more information and updates related to COVID-19  If you have any questions on traveling to Canada, please visit the Royal Roads COVID-19 page for more information.

Do you have a question? Please email Student Engagement. To book an Immigration Advising appointment, use our online booking system.

Study Permit Extension

If your study permit will expire before your program ends, you will need to extend it to ensure you have valid status throughout your studies. Please submit your application before your current permit expires.



Co-op/Internship Work Permit

If your program includes an internship, you will need a co-op/internship work permit before your internship begins. You can apply for the co-op/internship work permit in the same application as an initial study permit or study permit extension – or you can apply for your co-op/internship permit on its own. Please submit your application for your co-op/internship work permit 10 months before the start of your internship.



Post-Graduation Work Permit

Directly following an eligible program of study, students may apply for an open work permit called a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), which may be valid for up to three years. You are only able to apply for a PGWP within 180 days of completing your program. If you meet all the conditions, you can work until IRCC makes a decision on your work permit application. To work while your PGWP application is being processed you must meet the following conditions: your study permit was valid when you submitted your PGWP application; you have completed your program of study; you were eligible to work off-campus without a work permit while studying and you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to.



Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Extension

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is used only for entry into Canada, while a study permit allows you to remain in Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips abroad.

Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV. Visit IRCC to determine whether you require a TRV. 

If you have extended your study permit, you can apply for a new TRV from inside Canada.



Work Permit for Spouse or Family Member

International students studying with a valid study permit studying full-time may be eligible to apply for the open work permit for their spouse or common-law partner. The applicant also needs to meet the general IRCC eligibility requirements for an open work permit. The applicants can apply for a work permit from Canada or outside Canada.



Travel Restrictions, Exemptions, and Advice

Royal Roads students who are planning to travel should visit the IRCC websites, below are some IRCC information on travel guidelines. It is your responsibility to know and follow all travel restrictions and guidelines.



Protect Yourself From Immigration Frauds

International students can visit the IRCC page to know more about the telephone, email, or Internet frauds. There are common scams that are targeted at international students and students can avoid and report them to IRCC. 


Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA)

For general information on Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) programs, services and initiatives, please visit the CBSA website. CBSA officers make the final decision to admit temporary residents at ports of entry, therefore interactions with CBSA should be conducted in a respectful and appropriate manner. Please note, CBSA will not answer questions related to specific individuals and/or businesses, including third-party requests. Also, please be aware of scammers posing as CBSA employees; the resources below include information on how to recognize a scam


Contact page and helpful resources from CBSA


Arriving in Canada via YVR in Vancouver?

CBSA and the YVR Airport Authority are piloting a new Voluntary Compliance Portal (VC Portal), which provides CBSA with advanced notification on permit requiring travellers. The VC Portal is intended to reduce wait times by allowing CBSA to print study permits in advance of arrival. Using the VC Portal is only for study permits at this time, but if you have also been approved for a co-op/internship work permit, you can still use the VC Portal. The VC Portal is voluntary and you will not be negatively impacted if you do not use it; using the VC Portal does not guarantee entry into Canada.

To use the VC Portal:

  • You must have a Letter of Introduction (study permit approval letter) indicating that your study permit has been approved, and
  • You must be entering Canada at YVR, and
  • You must submit your information to the VC Portal using the online form at least 72 hours before your departure.

For more information on the VC Portal, please review CBSA's VC Portal FAQs.


Check IRCC Processing Times

IRCC is continuing to process applications. If you have an application in progress you can check the status of your application online and make sure your contact information and your application details are up to date on your IRCC account.  You can also use the IRCC Web Form to contact IRCC to check the status of your application or to inform IRCC of changes in your application.




Depending on your country of origin and application, IRCC may ask you to submit biometrics to process your application. Due to COVID-19, the biometric collection is currently not required for temporary resident applications in Canada, including study and work permit applications. Please check the IRCC website regularly to find out if the biometrics collection site closest to you has started offering collection services again.



Contact IRCC

You can contact IRCC by Webform or Telephone for any further information you need on your application.



IRCC Notices

All the updates and notices on Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada are available for the students on the IRCC website. You can subscribe to the IRCC Newsroom or visit the IRCC Notices page for the latest update on immigration.


General Information

  • Students are responsible to maintain their immigration status and compliance with the permit/visa conditions they received from the IRCC
  • Section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that, if a fee is involved, only a bona fide immigration consultant or a lawyer can provide advice on your immigration application or proceedings.
  • Royal Roads University staff cannot represent you or complete an application on your behalf.