Role of the President
The president and vice-chancellor acts as the university’s chief executive officer, responsible for the administration of the university’s day-to-day operations, as well as providing leadership to the entire university community under the direction of the Board of Governors.
The Board of Governors sets the university’s broad administrative and academic policy, as laid out by the Royal Roads University Act. On academic matters, the president is also assisted by an academic council comprised mostly of senior faculty members.
As the university’s principal ambassador and advocate, the president embraces the Royal Roads vision — "inspiring people with the courage to transform the world” — and shares our values of caring, creativity and courage.
Some other things you’ll find in the president’s job description:
- lead the university's pursuit of its strategies and goals
- safeguard and optimize the university’s resources
- advance the local, national and international reputation of the university’s programs
- foster an environment of equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the university community
- build relationships with internal and external stakeholders including the board, faculty, associate faculty, staff, students, alumni, the community, educational institutions and all levels of government
Our current president and vice-chancellor, Dr. Philip Steenkamp, began his five-year term on January 1, 2019.