Find information about Canada's updated travel rules for international students.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada announced Friday, October 2, 2020, that international students with a valid, approved study permit who will study at an approved designated learning institution are exempt from Canada’s travel restrictions and can travel to Canada at this time.
Remember, you must quarantine
Welcome! If you're a new or returning international student coming to Canada to study at Royal Roads, you're an important person in our learning community.
We're delighted to have you learning with us and we're here to help you.
Remember, when you arrive in Canada the Quarantine Act requires you to quarantine for 14 days.
- June 21, 2021 update: Quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers are changing on July 5, 2021. This section is under review and will be updated soon. In the meantime, please read the Government of Canada news release for more information.
Read this information to prepare for travel and your quarantine when you arrive.
If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 while travelling, you must inform the Canadian Border Services Agency officer when you arrive in Canada. The officer will tell you what to do next.
10 steps to prepare for your arrival and quarantine
Follow these steps as you arrive in Canada, quarantine and then study online at Royal Roads:
- Log in to Moodle and read the COVID-19 Travel Preparedness: Responsibilities for entry into Canada portal. Review all of the documents so you're aware of all rules and guidelines and the supports available to you. If you can't find the portal on Moodle, email Student Engagement about your travel plans to Canada and ask to be added to the portal.
- Book your government-required hotel stay. Starting February 22, 2021, you will be required to book an initial stay of up to three nights in a government-authorized hotel at your expense. Read about the mandatory hotel stopover.
- Find a place to quarantine for up to 14 days following your required hotel stay. Find temporary accommodation information.
- Submit your quarantine plan to the Government of Canada using the ArriveCAN app, which you can find on the iPhone/App Store or Android/Google Play before departing to Canada.
- Submit your BC self-quarantine plan to the Government of British Columbia.
- Submit your BC self-quarantine plan to Royal Roads via the Moodle portal: COVID-19 Travel Preparedness: Responsibilities for entry into Canada.
- Arrive in Canada and comply with the assessment process. You will take a COVID-19 test upon arrival at your expense, before you go to your government-approved hotel. Take a taxi or hotel-provided transportation. Don't take public transit.
- Following a negative COVID-19 test, you may check out of your required hotel stay and travel to your self-isolation location. Take a taxi or private transportation. Don't take public transit.
- While in self-isolation, complete a daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessment through the ArriveCAN app.
- Prior to the end of your 14-day quarantine, complete the at-home COVID-19 test provided to you at the airport. Follow all directions carefully.