The Board of Governors of Royal Roads University was established by an Act of the B.C. Legislature, the Royal Roads University Act, on June 21, 1995.
The Act provides that there shall be a Board of Governors of the university composed of:
- The president,
- A professor elected by the professors,
- Up to six persons appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council,
- A student elected by the students,
- An employee who is not a professor elected by the employees of the university who are not professors,
- Up to two persons, who are not employees of the university, appointed by the board.